[Feedback Required] Docs data reset & fresh import

• Welcome to skUnity!

Welcome to skUnity! This is a forum where members of the Skript community can communicate and interact. Skript Resource Creators can post their Resources for all to see and use.

If you haven't done so already, feel free to join our official Discord server to expand your level of interaction with the comminuty!

Now, what are you waiting for? Join the community now!

Should we perform a docs data reset? (please comment as to what you picked)

• No - the docs are fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaeFell

I'm Poppy
Staff member
Admin
skUnity Legend
Nov 27, 2016
discord.gg
Discord Username
BaeFell
Hi everyone,

An idea has been bought before myself by @Snow-Pyon, to reset the current documentation data and do a fresh import. The import would be done automatically and the changeover would happen without anyone realising (well, other than a few missing elements). It might be possible for an archived version of the docs to be created so you can still browse older versions of the docs.

What will be reset?
Pretty much, everything. A full docs data reset would be done. This would remove elements from addons that no longer provide any use, increasing load times and making it easier to find relevant addon syntaxes. Here's a brief list:
  • Docs elements
  • Element examples
  • Element info (this will be manually restored on selected elements)
  • Registered users and user data
  • Registered addons
How would the import work?
I have created an exclusive tool for skUnity called GlobalImport. This tool is designed to go through the entire addons section of the forums, create the required user and addon data, then import via SmartImport or JSONImport to the docs. This would mean all addons which are easily downloadable would be imported.

So when is it happening?
I've discussed with all the skUnity Staff, and the majority decision is to perform a reset. I love to hear what the community has to say on things, so have opened it up to the entire community to give their feedback. There is currently no timeline for this and will happen in a sudden moment. The final decision will be made by myself and @Wrong based on feedback from everyone.

I still use old addons and need their syntaxes!
I am looking into setting up a way to view the what will be old docs data. I am keeping full backups of the docs data to ensure that no data loss occurs.

What about the examples I created?
I am looking into creating a way to easily reassign them via the Docs Admin panel. As examples are stored separately from the main docs data, this isn't too hard to do.

Why though?
We're currently on skUnity Docs Version 2. The docs have been around 3 years this August and has collected a lot of old data. This old data is slowing down loading (something we are trying to combat at a code level too) and also confusing users as to what is usable as some addons do not work on new versions of Minecraft or are inaccessible.

Any other questions? Please, just ask. I'm all ears to feedback for this. Please reply with what option you picked and why.

The poll is open for 7 days and will close automatically then. Myself and @Wrong will be monitoring all posts and trying to monitor any discussion of it on the skUnity Discord. If you do have a conversation with someone on Discord about it, please post about it here so we can see.

Thanks,
BaeFell

I think that this is a great idea, but I would like to see a better system for the sort feature.
Also, I think that there are some things in the docs that need more information on, involving skript-mirror

I think that this is a great idea, but I would like to see a better system for the sort feature.
Also, I think that there are some things in the docs that need more information on, involving skript-mirror
That totally depends on the addon developers and users, we just provide a way to display that information. As far I know @btk5h (skript-mirror's creator) doesn't like web-based documentations so he isn't going to use our documentation. We could ask him whether we are allowed to upload it here at most.

Side note: I'm also going to make a tutorial specifically for custom syntaxes once skript-mirror hits 1.0.

I think, if possible you guys need to add a better search function.
Say I search "grief prevention" i get back "Oops! Nothing was found..."
But if I search "grief" or "griefprevention" i get back all the proper results.
That I know is just a silly thing with not remember theres no space in it.
But lets say I search "Griefprevention trusted" comes back with nothing.
You really have to know EXACTLY character by character what you are searching for

That totally depends on the addon developers and users, we just provide a way to display that information. As far I know @btk5h (skript-mirror's creator) doesn't like web-based documentations so he isn't going to use our documentation. We could ask him whether we are allowed to upload it here at most.

Side note: I'm also going to make a tutorial specifically for custom syntaxes once skript-mirror hits 1.0.
Unlike with most addons, the "per-element" approach to documentation doesn't really work for skript-mirror.

I've settled on using GitBook for documentation as it allows documentation to be stored on skript-mirror's git repository and it offers a variety of organization/formatting features that I haven't seen in other Skript-specific documentation solutions.