Skript: A good place to start?

• Welcome to skUnity!

Welcome to skUnity! This is a forum where members of the Skript community can communicate and interact. Skript Resource Creators can post their Resources for all to see and use.

If you haven't done so already, feel free to join our official Discord server to expand your level of interaction with the comminuty!

Now, what are you waiting for? Join the community now!

Is Skript a good first language?

• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

ThinkingAboutIt

Jan 26, 2017
Something that I've been thinking about for a while is how I started learning Skript as my first language and if it was a good choice.

I originally came to Skript because it made sense and it was simple enough for anyone to read and sort of understand what was going on. However, is it a good language to start as an introduction to the world of programming languages?

Yes
- Simple, eays to pick up
- Gives the user more control
- Very fast and does most of the 'boring stuff' for you

No
- Sometimes misleading
- Limited to Minecraft
- Not always as modular as seen to be

The thing is, Skript isn't the best language to start on unless you are only going to be using it and will never touch another language. Languages like Python, Java, PHP, C, and many others are sometimes much easier to learn as a first language. This is because Skript does a lot for you that you may not realise. When I had mostly finished my time with Skript, I wanted to go on to Python. However, only a few weeks after, I'd seen how much of a steep learning curve there was and how much foundation (that I'd built from Skript knowledge) had to be ripped apart and rewritten...

Simple things such as setting permanent variables in Skript are not as easy or straight forward for a beginner in any other programming language.

But the one thing that Skript really teaches you well is the theory. The basic understanding of loops, variables, lists, strings and so on.

What are your thoughts?

If you're learning by doing, it's actually really hard to understand the development of any system.
After finishing my A-levels and taking part in an internship in a development company, my view changed completely in object-oriented development.
Today, Skript is only a "programming language" (actually easy english development) which I use when I'm bored or somebody needs my help. I started using Skript in 2013.

All in all, Skript gave me an first insight in the programming world.

Skript give us more config or ideas and ez to make and nice but sometimes cause a lot lag rather than using java or jar types of plugins you can modify it depends what type it you want just using api and other

But also in skript like kill on water
In skript use 3 lines only rather in plugins :emoji_slight_smile: XD