News BETA Release of the skUnity Parser

• Welcome to skUnity!

Welcome to skUnity! This is a forum where members of the Skript community can communicate and interact. Skript Resource Creators can post their Resources for all to see and use.

If you haven't done so already, feel free to join our official Discord server to expand your level of interaction with the comminuty!

Now, what are you waiting for? Join the community now!

BETA Release of the skUnity Parser
Hi everyone,

I'm proud to announce the BETA release of the skUnity Parser! The Parser is close to an IDE online for Skript editing, but we've decided to give it the name of skUnity Parser. It's in a BETA release because while it's been tested internally by skUnity Staff, sometimes bugs can be missed so until we're confident that it's stable, it'll be in BETA.

Now, onto the more juicy stuff! Here's a low-down on the Parser!!

Awesome paste system
The Parser isn't just for editing right now, it's about editing in the future and sharing it with others. Save your pastes so you can come back to them whenever you need. I have been using the Parser as my workspace for some time now. I've found it to be very easy to quickly stomp out any syntax errors and know what isn't working (as you'll see below...). Share your pastes with your specific people or make them public and spread the link! You can also set your pastes to private so only you can see them. Have an unique paste code to help you remember it. I've done this with some of my scripts! baeChat exists on the Parser and my unreleased/bored script, TimePro (replacement of TimeParser). Autosave can help prevent losing any work by saving your paste back to the skUnity servers whenever it thinks you need to. Never worry about disappearing pastes with autosave on!

Simple download tool
Something quite cool which we have included is a single-click download button for the paste you're viewing. With the click of a button the paste you're viewing will be downloaded with the name of the file being the paste code and the .sk extension put on already, ready for you to use.

Forums connection
Depending when you're reading this post, depends on if you've seen it already. There is a button by supported Resources saying "skUnity Parser - View there now". As the text suggests, this button lets you view that Resource directly in the Parser. Instead of downloading Resources that aren't what you want, you can find the perfect Resource for you easily. Once you've found the perfect Resource, use the download button to get the Resource downloaded as normal. We have been using the Parser internally for Resource reviewing because it makes life so easy.

Stylish and modern design
Keeping inline with the rest of skUnity of the red, grey and material design we use, the Parser is no exception! The Parser has been designed in a simple dark-mode theme with the main editing area and a useful sidebar (more of this below!). Easily navigate the Parser and just get straight to writing scripts! Nothing to setup or do, we've done that all for you. The editor itself is colour coded to help you read your code rather than one big mess of text. The Parser has been a project in the works for quite some time and has had its look tweaked massively from when we began!

Useful sidebar and parse results
From general stats about your script to live parse results of your script - the sidebar includes everything you need to know. See how many commands and functions you've got with easy go-to line numbers to help you jump between triggers. The sidebar tells you the arguments for the functions and arguments of a command so you don't have to jump between them to know exactly how they're ran. You can also view the variables you have used and how many times. See your most used variables!

And now for something which I'm really proud about! Live parsing results. See results of your script as if it was parsed by Skript. A wide range of addons are supported already and we will expand what is supported in the coming months. Using a unique, original and creative setup, you can now skip the annoying stage of reloading a script to see syntax errors you could of just fixed.

Planned updates
The Parser isn't finished! Everyone at skUnity has been dying to release it and with a planned event utilising the Parser, we have decided to release it! There are some more things we are looking at adding. Some of these will come quicker than others, but you'll all be told when new things come to the Parser!
  • Local autosaving
    • skUnity down? No problem! The Parser will save locally and upload it later
  • View zips on the Parser
    • Another less thing to download to see what's actually inside
  • Search your saves
  • Public list of saves
  • Easy way of listing Resources from the forums
And finally...
Thank you for reading! I really do hope you enjoy using the Parser. Myself and Wrong have been working on it for sometime. We really hope to expand upon it and make it something that is really useful for everyone in the Skript community. It's an exciting tool to use and I love it! Not just as a developer of it, but as a general user of it.

If you have any suggestions for it, please post them below! I'm really interested in ideas for the Parser. And if you're unlucky to experience any bugs, again, please post below. Include steps of what you did to when it happened and any screenshots/videos if possible. I may contact you via Discord or PM for more information.

Thank you,
BaeFell and Wrong :emoji_couple_with_heart:

Reactions: Uzumaki
Really nice job! That will be really handy.
Some suggestions / things I noticed:
- If there is an error in a line then place a small marker on the left border of that line. So you see immediately.
- Put the line number first in the "Parse Results" section. So instead of just enumerating the parse errors with 1), 2), 3) just put the "Line: 23" or whatever at the very start of the error message (also in color). This allows you to a) distinguish quickly between different error messages and b) you don't have to search through the message to find the line number. If you are really motivated you could link the error message and marker described in the previous point. So if you click on one it will automatically select the line in question and scroll to the right position in the error bar on the right side.
- Put commands / functions below parse results. You are usually more interested in what went wrong than in what went right.
- Copy pasting lines is a little bit weird because it copies the indentation as well. That way you constantly have to unindent copied lines.
- If you have a indented line and want to move it one line lower (putting the cursor at the beginning of the line and pressing enter). It inserts a new line and unindents the line you wanted to move completely.
- Add a function to discord bot to upload code from discord directly to the skUnity Parser
- A fork button at the top of the editor to save the current script and open a new copy of it.

Reactions: BaeFell
- If there is an error in a line then place a small marker on the left border of that line. So you see immediately.
- Put the line number first in the "Parse Results" section. So instead of just enumerating the parse errors with 1), 2), 3) just put the "Line: 23" or whatever at the very start of the error message (also in color). This allows you to a) distinguish quickly between different error messages and b) you don't have to search through the message to find the line number. If you are really motivated you could link the error message and marker described in the previous point. So if you click on one it will automatically select the line in question and scroll to the right position in the error bar on the right side.
- Put commands / functions below parse results. You are usually more interested in what went wrong than in what went right.
- Copy pasting lines is a little bit weird because it copies the indentation as well. That way you constantly have to unindent copied lines.
- If you have a indented line and want to move it one line lower (putting the cursor at the beginning of the line and pressing enter). It inserts a new line and unindents the line you wanted to move completely.
- Add a function to discord bot to upload code from discord directly to the skUnity Parser
- A fork button at the top of the editor to save the current script and open a new copy of it.
Thanks for the feedback! I really like your suggestions and will definitely be doing some changes :emoji_slight_smile:

dam I didn't think you were still actively doing skript stuff baefell this looks nice

dam I didn't think you were still actively doing skript stuff baefell this looks nice
Wrong did the base of the frontend, I just filled out the rest of it. Thanks for your feedback <3

Bit of feedback of this:

We're working on getting this added and making it smooth as to not impact the textarea itself.

1, 2, 3... has been removed and line numbers now prefix the parse results The line numbers that were the error messages (and the new ones that prefix), are linked to that line. If you click it, you'll be taken to the line and it will flash.

Done! The sidebar has been moved around so it's Paste Info, Parse Results then general info on what's in the paste.

I haven't looked into this yet. But will be seeing what can be done if there is an issue.

I am in talks with Pikachu for this :emoji_slight_smile:

There was a way to do this originally. I think it may of gotten lost when I redesigned the save/settings menus back when the Parser was being fleshed out.

Thanks for your feedback! Anymore is appreciated <3